Sunday, September 13, 2009

Have I Become a Cook?

When did this happen? I never cooked before..........

I was the queen of pizza and processed food and now I am am cooking delicious greens, grains and whatever is in season because I also belong to a CSA and support my local farmer!

Cooking for myself, of course, AND my clients. Yes, my clients are asking me to cook for them as part of their health counseling sessions, and like I was, they are afraid of the kitchen.

What's is on the menu this week? Peppers, tomatoes, basil, eggplant and zucchini.



End of Summer Veggies over Pasta

Dice 6 tomatoes and green red and orange peppers

Thin slices of zucchini and eggplant

Mushrooms

1 clove of garlic

1/4 to 1/2 cup of olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar (to taste)

1 box of quinoa pasta



Saute peppers, eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms in olive oil, 1 clove of garlic in the balsamic oil mixture until soft.

Add tomatoes, basil and fresh ground pepper and cover and simmer until tomatoes are tender.

While veggies are cooking, cook quinoa pasta.



Spoon over pasta.

What about protein? Add white beans or diced chicken to the vegetable mixture.

Great food- Great benefits!
  • Disease Fighting food and delicious too.
  • Eggplant: Rich in vitamins and minerals, the skin contains an antioxident called nasunin that protects the cell membranes. (I will talk about this in another post) Eggplant is known to protect against cancers, viruses and cholesterol issues.
  • Bell peppers and tomatoes: The colors alone make one feel happy because of their vibrancy so you can imagine how the body sings! Both contain lycopene that help prevent cancers and are known to lower cholesterol.
  • Zucchini is a super source of manganese and vitamin C plus magnesium, vitamin A, fibers, potassium riboflavin and phosphorous.

Try this recipe while the veggies are in season and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. Love this combination of ingredients. Blog looks great, looking forward to reading more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love posting! I am having a great time creating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, I love reading about simple recipes that are healthy and delicious. This is a great way to use all of those local veggies from the farm stand! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete